Monday, June 24, 2013

Week 13 - Yep, I am training for an Ironman!!!

This week I felt like a beast, pounding my chest saying that I am not only training for an Ironman, but I want to go for the 226 Duathlon record in August at The Canadian 226.

Sunday:  30 mile bike ride in just under 1.5 hours.  I felt great and unstoppable, going at about 22mph for most of the ride.

Monday: 7.8 miles total with 10x800 intervals.  Did the first 8 at 3:20 to keep conservative, did the 9th at 3:08 and let loose on the last one doing it in 2:55.  Strength training followed that.

Tuesday: 17.2 miles on the bike in 50 minutes and 30 seconds.  Did the two loops that the time trial goes on, but since I was working that evening it was all on my own in the 87 degree heat.  Felt great, this included the first part of the first lap being a warmup.

Wednesday: scheduled rest day as long run will be Friday as a big brick workout.

Thursday: 4.8 easy miles after work and before bagging lunch bags for the homeless.

Friday:  First big test, did a 1 mile warmup in a little over 8 miles, then transitioned to my bike and went out for 60 miles at an average speed of about 19mph with one stop to get more water (had to wait for a few people buying energy drinks, subs and cigarettes first).  Most of my ride was done around 21mph which was my main goal to keep that pace steadily.  Transitioned from the bike to running in about 3 minutes with taking a piss break (at my house) and totally changing clothes.  Then I did a 10 mile brick run without any of the dead leg feeling that one gets sometimes.  I continued at a 8:20/mi pace and held steady all the way through the brick run with no fade at all.  I was testing my pacing and nutrition so I checked heart rate and pace, neither faded.  My nutrition on the bike was 900 calories of gatorade powder, 120 calories of protein powder and 594mg of potassium all in one 32 oz. bottle.  On the run I think I mixed the gatorade too heavily and rather than doing a water bottle and a double gatorade bottle I should have just done two gatorade bottles and taken one gel right around the end of the bike.  Great day overall.

Saturday:  Oops!  I worried so much about my nutrition during my workout that I forgot about nutrition AFTER my workout on Friday.  I didn't drink any gatorade after, not enough water and didn't eat a whole lot.  Saturday was horrible and even though my muscles were all great and I was running at an easy 8:35/mi pace I started to get dehydrated and called it a day after only 2.25 miles.

Week 13: Run 26 / Bike 105 .... learned a WHOLE lot this week and am looking forward to the last 10 weeks of training!  Have 1 and maybe a 2nd race in between now and then, but plan on doing one more big brick workout being a 90 mile ride with a 15 mile run about 7 weeks from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment