Monday, June 24, 2013

Week 11 - racing is fun!

This was a packed week and I have no idea how I worked, did my training and my racing, but it was a blast and nothing suffered.

Sunday:  Sprint duathlon, warmed up with about 2 miles worth of jogging and also ensuring I flushed my system.  The race started right on time and we were out, the first mile went by quickly and my pace was pretty close to right on.  First 5k run was 20:34 with pretty even splits, 2nd overall out of 33 people at that point.  Had about a minute for transition and then it was onto the bike.  This was the first race where I tried having my shoes already clipped in and this turned out to be a bad idea as I didn't know how to do it correctly.  I wound up unclipping the shoes off to the side, putting them on and then getting back onto the bike.  Based on my splits I lost about 2 minutes doing this.  My 20k bike wound up being 36 minutes and I definitely could have ridden a little harder and also shaved off the 2 minutes from making a rookie mistake in my second season of duathlons.  I came off the bike in 5th place and had about a 1 minute transition to go running.  I wanted to pace the second run around 7:45/mi and did a little faster than that finishing the last 5k in 23:24.  I probably could have done this a little quicker too, but a total time of 1 hour, 23 minutes and 4 seconds was good enough for 4th overall out of 33 people and first in my 35-39 age group.

Monday:  easy 4.6 miles at recovery pace.

Tuesday: 14 miles on the bike in 35 minutes to show myself I am not slow, lol.  Kind of an ego thing.

Wednesday:  2.5 hour long run and took it at a real easy 8:50/mi pace doing 16 miles.  No reason at this point to try and push my running too hard, long slow miles will prove effective in the months to come.

Thursday: ran 3.5 miles with my dog and did 14 miles in 40 minutes on the trainer as it started to rain later in the day.  Did some 3 x 5 minute intervals at 105-120% FTP in there too.  Good day.

Friday: rest

Saturday:  Charity bike ride for American Diabetes Association.  Century route was 103.6 miles with 5,265 feet of elevation gain.  First 40 miles are pretty smooth and then from 40-80 it is pretty hilly.  Got with a group of 9 people to start the ride and that number went down to 4 of us very quickly as the others fell off our pace.  The 4 of us held together until about mile 42 when one person fell off the back.  We skipped the first rest stop at 30 miles, but stopped at 55 miles to use the bathroom, refill bottles and wait for the 4th guy to get back with us.  Going forward he fell back off a few miles back on the road and the rest of us rode together the rest of the way back, stopping quickly for more gatorade/water at 82 miles.  Our total time was 5:14 for 103.6 miles, so it was a really good day.  Weather was great too, sunny with a high in the 70's.

Week 11:  Run 32.3 / Bike 145

No comments:

Post a Comment