Monday, July 29, 2013

Week 18 - some good training plus a mini taper for Olympic Du this coming Sunday

Feeling good this week, temps starting to drop and last week's training in the heat and humidity should pay dividends in a few weeks.  End of the week had to really pull it back as I wanted to go long and fast, had to go easy and short to mini tape for a race on Sunday the 28th (3k run / 40k bike / 10k run).

Sunday:  1 hour and 14 minute bike ride.  Cruising through our bike trails and actually wound up having someone pass me on the trail right after I passed another person.  It was a guy for the Ohio State cycling team and he was going around 23-24mph so I latched onto his wheel for a mile or so, then took the lead and let him latch onto my wheel for a mile or so.  After that I was close to where I was going to turn off so I let him jump back in front so I could slow down and turn without hindering his ride.  It was good overall and went a total of 24 miles.

Monday: 55 minute bike ride at a nice, slow and easy pace so only did 15 miles.  It's always good to have an easy day here and there where you get into zone 1 and just stay there.

Tuesday: Ran 3.9 miles in 33 minutes on the treadmill this morning since I was going to the gym to do 45 minutes worth of strength training anyways.  There was a new machine called "reACT" that floats around in a circle and you stand sideways on it.  Goal is to keep your head level so it basically acts as doing squats and really hitting your glutes, quads and hamstrings.  I did the machine for a total of 3 minutes, 30 seconds on beginner and 2:30 on advanced.  Last 30 seconds were rough.  Went through doing normal weight training after that but skipped the leg presses since that kinda acted like my leg presses.  In the evening I did our local time trial series and did three 8.4 mile laps at a total time of 1:07.  Last lap was a little over 23mph average so I am definitely getting better at figuring out my limits.

Wednesday:  scheduled rest day and I totally nailed doing nothing again!

Thursday: "long run" this week is 1:28 for 10.7 miles.  Last 0.2 miles were cooldown for 4 minutes.  I was really hitting paces, going 7:40/mile downhill, 8:00/mi on flats and 8:15/mi on uphills.  It was on the faster end of where I should be running for my fitness level so I kinda need to watch to make sure I don't do these runs too fast.

Friday: Just an easy bike and run with a practice transition as a part of my "mini taper".  I did a 8.5 mile bike ride in 30 minutes and then it took 40 seconds to dismount, take off helmet, glasses and shoes, put on running shoes and hat, close garage and run out front door.  Then I did 1.9 miles in 15 minutes as the rest of my easy day.  Picked up my race packet for this weekend and looked at T1 along with the whole beach setup.

Saturday:  I don't know if this counts as a run, but I did a 2 mile run at an easy pace with no watch so I have no idea if it was even two miles or how long it was.  Just wanted to make sure that I got some sort of exercise in and also set up my shoes at T2 for this weekend with my hat.  I got a good location as I can run up, I am first spot in the 6th row so I can change shoes and put my bike up rather quickly and head out without obstructions.  All set for tomorrow's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment