Saturday, July 6, 2013

Week 15 ... time to test my mental strength

Some would say that those training for an ironman are not right in the head to begin with.  Those training for an ironman that has 12 loops on the bike course and 8 loops on the run are really not right in the head then, right?  Well, after this week I am totally sure that I can and will be able to handle those little nuances of the race I decided to enter.

Sunday: raining outside so I did 1 hour, 30 minutes on the trainer with some intervals thrown in (Winchell on trainerroad.com software).  Wound up with 33 miles for the day!

Monday: 1 hour and 7 miles of running on the treadmill.  Did the first mile real slow as a warmup, did miles 3 and 6 at a 7 min/mile pace and did a cooldown for the last 0.3 miles for a total of 7 miles altogether.  After that I went through my strength routine and did chest press, tricep pulldown, shoulder press, leg press, calf press, tibia work, hamstring leg curls and some side to sides to work on my obliques.

Tuesday:  Raining again, 40 minutes on the trainer with 3 x 5 minute intervals at about 120% of FTP.  Wound up with 14 miles total.

Wednesday:  off today, doing long run tomorrow as I have work and then going out with my wife for the day before the 4th.

Thurssday:  This is a workout I had circled on my training schedule all year.  It was 2 hours and 15 minutes on a track running at LSD pace.  I wound up running in 62 circles around the track and logged 15.5 miles at roughly a 8:43/mile pace.  I don't run on the track much at all, but my toe was starting to give me problems so I called it a day then.

Friday:  Took the day off to catch up on some housework and throw some Continental Grand Prix 4000 S tires on my bike so I can use them for the race next week, 2 weeks after that and then my goal race which is only 8 weeks away.

Saturday:  amped up to do a long bike ride I open the garage and see rain.  Oh well, I won't let that get me down.  I threw on the training wheel, set up the bike in the family room and turned on the tour de france.  I did Disaster on trainer road which is a 4 hour, 10 minute training session with 13 different intervals thrown in.  Altogether I did 90 miles and it was and probably will be the hardest 4 hour, 10 minute workout I have ever done.  I know it will have benefits, but I think tomorrow's run will be a nice and easy one.  Planning on 5 x 1600m tomorrow but that may be at a 7 min/mile pace at best.

Great week, but not much running.  Next week I will make up a little of the running mileage I missed out on this week with 137 miles biking and only 22.5 miles running.

No comments:

Post a Comment