Monday, July 22, 2013

Week 17 in the books - 6 more weeks until the big race!!!!!

Week 17 was a hot, humid week which made it perfect for trying to push myself and getting in some quality work on a hot week.  Really had a good week overall and put in some good training days as well.  Did not do weights this week as it already had some good work put into it.  Have really done well thus far in balancing work, life, pregnant wife and training altogether for the past 17 weeks (wife is 29 weeks right now).  It is good to have a plan, have a backup plan and execute it.

Sunday: Was supposed to be a sprint duathlon today, but it was postponed due to the water levels in the park that caused the park to close.  I had my race tires and race intertubes on my bike so I decided to go out and have some fun for 1.5 hours today.  Did 30 miles and was hitting some really good paces throughout the ride.  20mph average with traffic, cruising speeds were 22-23mph.

Monday:  Long run, planned to do 3 hours and it was about 92 degrees with a lot of humidity when I set out to run.  Did two loops of 6.4 miles each in about 1:55 and I still felt fine even though I was drenched in sweat.  I set out to do some more mileage and wound up only going about half a mile before my gut started acting up and I had to cut it short, jog back and use the bathroom.  I overmixed my gatorade for running and should not have had that thick of concentration, lesson learned.

Tuesday: Regular bike, nothing special, 17 miles in 50 minutes.

Wednesday: day off

Thursday:  Long bike ride, temps are supposed to be in the 90's with a heat index of 105 max so the sun came up at 6:18am and I left my house around 6:15am.  Brought a little tube of sunscreen, 10 dollars, a bottle full of water, 3 gels and my nutrition bottle.  Stopped at 3 gas stations, water at all of them, also got an energy drink at the second and a gatorade at the third.  Stopped at 23 miles, 50 miles and 84 miles.  I did a total of 105 miles in 5 hours, 19 minutes without stopping my watch (except when I stopped at the 50 mile gas station).  Was able to keep a nice comfortable pace and got back with a lot left in the tank as well.  This was a good sign and I went through my nutrition bottle which was 1320 calories (6 scoops of gatorade, 1 scoop protein and 990mg of potassium), 2 gels which were 100 each and a gatorade which was another 120 calories.  Very good day.

Friday: 1 hour, 21 minute run with 3.5 miles downhill and 3.5 miles uphill for a total of 9.3 miles on the day with the first mile being a warmup and the last being a cooldown.  Most of the mileage was done around a 8:18/mi pace.  Really humid in the morning, came home drenched.

Saturday:  easy 5 miler with 0.3 miles of cooldown, done at around 8:20/mi pace.  Felt good.

Total mileage for the week is 152 miles biking and 28.3 miles running.  Will be cutting back again next week so I can do a race on Sunday, July the 28th.  I want to have a good finish time in the Olympic Duathlon that week and focus on great transitions as well as running off the bike after a harder bike effort.  The bike leg actually has an net elevation drop of 25 or so feet since it is a point to point race so I will be going for about an hour bike leg on a 40k bike and run the final 10k at 7:30/mi pace as long as I can hold it.

No comments:

Post a Comment