Friday, August 9, 2013

Week 19 - Olympic Duathlon this week

Sunday:  Feels good to have a race since I haven't had a race for 8 weeks!  Got up with just enough time to eat, make sure bike is ready, put air in the tires, get it on the car, eat my bagel with peanut butter and get a bottle of gatorade ready to drink on the way there.  I had my bottle for my race already made the night before, so no worries there and brought a couple gels too.  Got there about an hour and a half early (duathletes usually get the pleasure of starting last).  Warmed up with a guy that races a lot and did about 2 miles of warmup jogging along with three 100 meter sprints to get the legs loose.

Started off the 3k run at a good pace and held it throughout and finished the first leg in 10:44, I was in 2nd place behind a guy that did 10:06 out of the 15 people doing the olympic.  First transition was about 1:30 and that wasn't bad since it was a long transition area.  On the bike I was tops by quite a bit over the field, it was a 40k bike leg that I did in 1:04.  Had a sizable lead after that part of the race.  Another 1:30 transition to the last run which I did the 10k run in 46:17.  Started off the run at about a 7:45-8:00/mi pace.  The first 5k was just over 24 minutes and I finished with the last 5k being 22 minutes flat.  Probably had a little more in me on the run but I think I gave it pretty close to all I had fitness wise.  I finished in first place by over 8 minutes and was proud of my performance.

Monday: easy 4 mile recovery run at 9:00/mile pace.

Tuesday: 45 minute strength workout hoping this will lead to a quicker post race recovery.

Wednesday: 1 hour bike ride where I only did 15.5 miles.  Planned on an easy ride, but my front derailleur was stuck in the big chainring and I spent a lot of time trying to shift it by hand and figure out what was up.  Turns out that the spring broke and I needed a new derailleur.

Thursday:  Went to get a derailleur at a local bike shop and found out they install parts for free that you buy there so I left my bike and part should be in on Friday (didn't come in til the following week though).  Did a 10.5 mile run in 1:35 earlier that day as a long run for the week.

Friday: Ankle was a little tender, not sure if it was Thursday's run, the race on Sunday or just fatigue in general.  Took the day off and I didn't have to work that day either.

Saturday: Did an easy 4 mile run and some more strength.  Still no bike back and wound up having to work 10 hours instead of the planned 4 hour day.

Overall it was a good week and was happy with my result on Sunday.  Wound up buying a new pair of orthotics for work since it had been 7 years since I got the other ones.  They are the ones for 49.95 that you get from taking the test on the Dr. Scholl's machine at some stores.  Old ones were really beat up and were not helping my feet at all anymore.  More to come next week!

Total miles were 29.5 running and 40.5 biking.  Really low number for me, but better to make sure my body is ok and with only a month til my race it is best to make sure I don't get injured as my base is already set, most of my work is done and now pacing, sharpening and nutrition will be the keys to my success.

No comments:

Post a Comment