Monday, August 26, 2013

Week 22 - Taper madness has begun!

This week I definitely felt a phantom injury on my ankle, another day my right thigh hurt but then everything was actually fine.  I got feverish and sick feeling, but that cleared up with about 24-36 hours.  Man, is this the reaction that my body gives when I drop my mileage down to taper?  I tapered for a marathon before and had phantom injuries, but never phantom sickness, lol.

Sunday: easy ride, 20 miles on the bike trail and there were quite a few people as there are on most sundays so I just took it easy with a few race pace intervals.

Monday: 6.4 miles with cooldown practicing race pacing.  Ran at exactly 8:20/mile for 6.1 miles and that is right where I want my body to remember what speed to run at.  Very good workout today!

Tuesday: Total of 21 miles with warmup.  Did two laps at the local time trial and each lap is supposed to be 8.4 miles.  I did the first one in just over 21 minutes which was just under 24mph average.  The second lap took me 3 minutes longer, but I added about 1.5 miles since I missed a turn as I blew by a group of 5 cyclists out for a group ride.  I must have went by them where I was supposed to turn and didn't realize until I was about 3/4 of a mile down the road.  The 2nd lap would have been even faster than the first since I went 9.9 miles in just over 24 minutes.  Felt very good about this workout until I was driving home.  Got real feverish and had to roll the windows down to cool off.

Wednesday:  Rest day was supposed to be Thursday, but I left work early feeling sick and just rested at home the rest of the day.  Is this taper madness or did I just eat something that didn't sit right?  24 hour flu?  Who knows.

Thursday:  Felt better, went for a run after work and did a total of 7.5 miles.  7.2 miles was done at ... you guessed it, 8:20/mile pace and then I did a short cooldown and stretch.  NAILED IT!!!!  Felt good to do that after how I felt Tuesday and also it was at the hottest point of the day which will also be when I am running my marathon portion of the race.

Friday:  32 miles on the bike, got stopped at more traffic lights than normal, hit two railroad crossings when a train was going through and even hit a spot where they were freshly paving the roads.  Did manage to get some sweet spot intervals in there though.

Saturday:  4.5 miles at 8:20/mile pace, nailed it again.

Great week, feeling good about my race pacing of heart rate at 130-140 during bike, running the first run at 7:00/mile and the marathon starting at 8:20/mile and controlling the fade as much as possible so that I don't go over 9:00/mile.  I have my nutrition plan in place for the race, I plan on taking a total of 10 gels, 4 on the bike and 6 while running (one every four miles).  On the bike I will have a nutrition bottle mixed with 7 scoops of gatorade (1400 calories), 1.5 scoops of protein powder (180 calories), and 990mg of potassium powder.  During the bike leg I will drink one bottle of water (20-24oz) every 45km, and during the last lap I will take a bottle of gatorade instead.  During the run I can only drink about 4-6oz of gatorade every 30 minutes from previous efforts, but am able to take on gels without a problem.  I am bringing my own so I use exactly what I am used to.  I will alternate between water and gatorade at the aid stations and I will also bring a 16oz water bottle with flat coke in it that I will carry in my cycling jersey.  Special needs bag will have bananas, clif bars and flat coke if I need them.

Before the race I plan on taking in about an extra 100 grams of carbs from normal on thursday and another 200 grams extra on friday.  This will be in the form of spaghetti that has extra noodles and the same amount of spaghetti sauce/meatballs.  On race day I plan on getting up at 4:15am and having an ensure and a bagel with peanut butter.  I will drink water with that and then I will drink a 32oz gatorade on the way to the race site and when I am there.  I will eat another peanut butter bagel about an hour before the 7:15am start time and finish my gatorade.  No drinking or eating on the 2.5 mile run to start.  I have a plan in place and the special needs bags will be for if my plan needs to change!  Race is one week from Saturday, so now it is time to make use of all the training and to trust the training.

No comments:

Post a Comment