Friday, August 9, 2013

Week 6 (Capped off by Cap City Half Marathon)

This week was a major cutback on cycling as running is my main focus going into the half marathon.  I may have been trying to hit my running paces too early and pushing too hard as I am not able to hold race pace on my training runs that are only half the distance of the actual race.

Sunday: 32 mile bike with 4x12 min at FTP.  Very good workout!

Monday: 7.9 miles total with 5 miles at 7:01 pace for tempo run, still 9 seconds off of race pace to break 90 minutes for half marathon.

Tuesday: 4.3 mile run at easy pace.

Wednesday: 5 mile run and still at about 7:03 pace, starting to accept that 1:30 isn't going to happen this saturday.

Thursday: Rest day

Friday:  Busy with work, packet pickup and everything else, might be best just to rest today as well.

Saturday:  Race day and it feels great, did about 2 miles of warmup jogging with a couple pickups to remind my legs how to run faster than 7:00/mi.  Started out way too fast, but quickly pulled that back and did the first mile in 6:47, ran the second mile at 6:50 and then proceeded closer to 7:00/mi for the first 4 miles.  I realized by mile 5 that I wasn't going to be able to run the second half fast enough to make up the time, but my goal was to run my best race.  I stayed consistent until mile 8 and ran 6:45 in the 8th mile.  After that I couldn't break the 7 minute barrier and finished with some 7:20-7:30 miles.  Final time was 1 hour, 35 minutes.  A new personal best by over 26 minutes!  I feel great about this time as my original goal was to get under 1 hour, 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment