Saturday, August 10, 2013

Week 20 in the books, 3 weeks left!!!!

Week 20 is finished and wow, it is really getting close to race day.  A lot of work has been put in and now is the time to get all the pacing and nutrition down so I don't waste all the work that I have been putting in for the last 20 weeks and base building before that.  Foot started feeling better after I got some new work orthotics to replace the 7 year old ones I had before and this was an overnight win.  I also bought a new pair of cycling insoles on Friday morning after realizing my left foot has a high arch and right foot is basically a normal arch.  My old cycling inserts had lost their compression and may have been the wrong arch.

Sunday - went to the gym and did 25 miles cycling after work since my bike was still waiting for the front derailleur to come in.  Was good to get some spinning in and just work on getting my legs moving while my ankle didn't have much stress on it.

Monday - I did nothing at all.

Tuesday - Cycling for 10 miles at the gym as my bike still wasn't ready, but wound up being ready around the time they closed at 8pm.  I did the elliptical at the gym for 2 miles also and felt good.  Busy day overall as I got up, did my workout, went to work at 11pm, did a local festival for work serving food, setting up a tent, tearing it down and we were out by 7pm, pickup the bike by 8pm, go shoot in pool league and win my match, in bed before 11pm.

Wednesday - been looking forward to this day and dreading it for a while now.  My last big brick workout and longest of my entire training schedule.  Wife set up an appointment for a guy to come out at 1pm to look at our gutters so I wouldn't have time for a 90 mile bike ride and 15 mile brick run.  Instead I did a 2 mile warmup run, then I biked for 75 miles.  During the biking section I was getting worried as I was only holding a 19-20mph pace consistently and sometimes over that.  That was until I hit the gas station 37.5 miles out and turned around.  I started coming back and was going 23-25mph consistently and realized that the wind was my limiter, lol.  I did well on the bike portion, averaging 19.5mph on a ride on roads is normal for going around 21-22mph when I get some open ground.  I got stuck at one light through two whole cycles because the guy wouldn't pull up to the sensor and there was too much traffic to go across.  After that I did a 10 mile brick run and after about 9.5 miles I felt my first lactic twinge where if it were a race I would keep pushing and run through it but pay for it the next few days.  This wasn't a race day so I stopped at that point and jogged at about a 10:00/mi pace the rest of the way home.  Before that I started at a 8:13/mi pace and held that comfortably for 6 miles when I started to slow some and by the time I stopped I was still going 8:40/mi.

I had 1220 calories in my bottle (5.5 scoops of gatorade mix, 1 scoop of protein powder and 900mg of potassium) and used 2 gels while I did the bike portion.  I finished all of that and while running I just had regular concentration gatorade and a couple gels so around 300 calories.  The only thing I think I did wrong nutrition wise was not enough water on the bike portion.  I need to be able to drink closer to 1oz of water per mile or at least 0.75oz per mile.  I only had 40 ounces roughly over a 75 mile ride.  That is why I cramped I believe.  Race day I plan on bringing a 240 calorie clif bar with me and my nutrition bottle will be 7 scoops of gatorade mix, 1.5 scoops protein and 1000mg of potassium.  I don't have a problem with the thickness of the mixture and there will be a bottle exchange every 15km so I should finish a bottle of water every 3 loops.  During the run I have realized from past runs that I do well with water and gels primarily.  I can handle gatorade every 5k or so.

Thursday - rest day, nailed it, did nothing but work.

Friday - Did a 3.3 mile run in the morning at recovery pace and a 14 mile ride on the bike trainer with a few intervals in the afternoon.  Felt good!

Saturday - I felt great during today's jog and feel pretty well rested overall.  Did a 3.3 mile run at an easy pace which started at 8:40/mi and ended with the last mile at 7:26 and it still felt easy.  Stretched out well after the run and will be getting all my stuff ready for tomorrow.  That way I can just get up, pump some air in my tires, eat and go basically.  Less stuff to worry about on race morning.

Finished this week with 20.6 miles running (fine with that with how week started having tender ankle that healed wonderfully) and 124 miles biking which is fine also since I didn't have a bike for half the week and had to use gym bikes (uggggghhh).

No comments:

Post a Comment