Saturday, March 30, 2013

NOW it feels like I'm training for an Ironman!!!

Had an awesome workout on Friday where I did roughly 40 miles on the bike trainer, immediately followed by a 3.1 mile run outside!  Transition took a little long since it was about 40 degrees outside so I had a few extra clothes to put on, but realized the importance of a good towel.  Bike felt good, 10 minutes where I warm up, then 10 minutes at about 40% of threshold power, then a 1.5 hour block at 75-80% of my threshold with the last ten minutes slower.  When I got off the bike and ran it did not hurt as I expected of my first brick run of the year.  One thing I learned last year is to ease off at the beginning and end of the bike segment so that I am more fresh when I get off the bike.  Overall a great workout and I got that feeling of "NOW it feels like I'm training for an Ironman!"

Saturday was incline work on the treadmill.  I did a 10k with about 1200 feet of elevation gain at an easy pace.  I kept my heart rate in the middle of zone 2.  Hamstrings felt it a little bit, but running inclines never really feels great ... though the benefits from running inclines feels awesome, so knowing that gets me through the workout.

Great weather should be just around the corner and I cannot wait for it.  Nothing beats running and riding in the sun on late spring/early summer days!

No comments:

Post a Comment