Friday, March 22, 2013

New PR on 10k!!

Well, I was sick last weekend, so I wound up just resting, eating, drinking OJ, water, taking airborne and only medicine was robitussin DM and generic version of Mucinex.  I guess the rest helped out since my 10k to start the year was on Sunday.  I made sure to get some good sleep and went to bed around 10:30pm on Saturday night to be ready for a 10am race on Sunday.

Sunday morning I woke up at 7:30am, and within the next hour I had a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, a half a bottle of Gatorade and some water.  I didn't take any medicine because I already knew that race day helps clear a chest cold better than any medicine.  I left the house at 8:30 to get there, takes a little over 30 minutes and drank my favorite preworkout while on my way.  It is way cheaper and is basically some sugar, caffeine and a few amino acids.  Muscletech Pre Workout and the cost is about a third of others I have seen.  After I got there, I got registered (wow, small event, smallest I have ever been in, only 15 people!).  It was 32 degrees outside and I ran about 1.2-1.5 miles of a warmup, then I took off my jacket and extra pair of mesh pants.  Still had on 2 pairs of gloves, a beanie cap, long sleeve compression shirt, compression pants, shorts and a technical T.

Started off in the lead straight from the gun and had another guy pretty close behind me through the first half of the course.  My goal was to keep my heartrate in the 160-170 range based on my LTHR.  I kept it at the low end for the first half, I cut it a little too close though, 160 average at the half way point and I did the first half in 20:00 exactly.  My goal was to finish in 42 minutes and doing this well in the first half while not pushing was very motivating.  So I hit the turnaround and see that the guy is still about 5-10 seconds behind so pretty darn close.  I picked up the pace a little to get my HR up above 165 and below 170 at that point.  About half a mile on the way back he passed me and started leaving me.  I was able to keep him at about 15 seconds ahead of me with me hitting 170 for my HR and kept that pace until the last 0.2 miles where I tried to close the gap.  I closed, but then he picked it up and held me off by 3 seconds.  My finishing time was 39:18, so I negative split the second half and blew my goal out of the water.  Stretched, drank some water, ate a banana and drove home to relax and try to get rid of chest cold.

Monday - Did 4.5 miles of easy running, nothing special.

Tuesday - 35 minutes of biking with 15 seconds on/15 seconds off intervals.  Killed my lungs, but I lived.

Wednesday - 90 minute long run, 11.4 miles, stayed in zone 2.  Treadmill, still cold outside

Thursday - 41 minutes of biking with some 15 second intervals and then 4 minutes at 105%.  Lungs feeling a little better.  Swimming lessons in the evening and then some rest.

Today is Friday and I will be doing 5 miles at a comfortable pace, but with hills or inclines today.  Just remember, hills don't feel great while you are doing them, but they pay HUGE dividends!

No comments:

Post a Comment