Saturday, April 20, 2013

Week 4 in the books!

Week 4 was a cut back week for running, but with schedule last weekend biking was an increase.  I have a half marathon on May 4th that I am treating like an A race, so biking will cut back next week while I focus on half marathon pace.  Goals for this week were just to hit bike paces and get a few quality runs in.  My week went as follows:

Sunday:  Sunday afternoon biking on the trainer.  1:30 ride with a total of 27 one minute burst intervals where I hit 25 of them.  Total of 30.5 miles and an overall good session.

Monday:  Easy pace, 7.5 miles at 8:00/mile pace for an uneventful run.  Hit the weights afterwards for strength training and did the whole cycle of chest press, shoulder press, rows, leg press, calf raises, adductors, and abdominal twists.

Tuesday: One hour session with a lot of 6 second bursts during intervals slightly above FTP.  This workout really got my legs firing, but made it through with a total of 20 miles logged.

Wednesday:  Long run that I wanted to do at a faster pace to get myself more ready for half marathon.  Ran 12.5 miles in 1:33 at a pace of 7:26/mile.  Pleased with this run, but did first half in 46:00 and second half in 47:00.  Shows that I need to do some pacing work over the next 2.5 weeks.  Total of 13.3 miles today.

Thursday:  Rest day where I did absolutely nothing! :)

Friday:  First 3 hour ride of the year and it was raining and below 50 degrees so it was done on a trainer.  Guess it is my biggest mental training ride then too, wound up with 61 miles logged with 2.5 hours at close to 80% FTP.  At 2:33 mark felt a little niggle on my right inner thigh.  Cut it back for 5 minutes and then slowly picked pace back up.  Was fine after ride and after the 5 minute slowdown.  I think I need more nutrition since I only took in 600 calories during the ride and spent around 2100 calories (based on watch).  No run today.

Saturday:  Goal was to do 6.55 miles at 6:52/mile pace which is going to be my half marathon pace.  Did a 1.28 mile warmup, then hit my pacing for the whole 6.55 miles.  After about 2 miles I wasn't feeling it, but pushed through and found out that it was all in my head.  Glad that I stuck it out as this will help me know my limits and my limiters a little better.  Wound up with a total of 8.1 miles after cooldown.

Total mileage this week was 29 miles running and 111.5 mile biking.  I haven't emphasized the importance of stretching, but after every single session I do at least 10 minutes of stretching with Fridays being more like 30 minutes of stretching.  I always take in nutrition within 30 minutes of my workout (usually right after stretching) which consists of one or more of the following:  Ensure (350 calories 4:1 carb:protein ratio), chocolate milk (also 4:1 ratio) or Clif bar (4.3:1 ratio).  So far this has helped me to have quicker recoveries so far this year compared to last year while getting more quality training in.  Last year I still needed to build base though.

No comments:

Post a Comment