Saturday, April 20, 2013

Week 3 was a doozy for running

Week 3 was my highest mileage week I will have in running until week 11 or 12.  My week was challenging, but I felt suprisingly well throughout the week and woke up on Wednesday energized to do my long run.  Thursday was a much needed rest day and Friday I had a few other things going on with work and a friend's wedding.  The week went as follows:

Sunday:  21.5 mile bike ride with intervals .. woke up at 4:30am to get this ride in before working 7-4 that day.  Hit my marks well and set a new 60 minute record for me in wattage - 172 watts.

Monday: Intervals at 6x800.  Each interval was 3:09 except the last one which was 3:00 flat.  Rest between intervals was 2:51 at 3.5mph.  All was done on the treadmill and total mileage was 5.7 miles.

Tuesday: Nice weather outside, kept around zone 2 through the ride and went 21.5 miles outdoors.  Cruising pace is around 21mph, but with traffic, lights, bike path and everything my overall average speed was only 18.4mph.  Did give me some handling practice since my bike was converted to a tri setup with bullhorns and aero bar end shifters over the winter.

Wednesday:  Best long run to date.  Last year during marathon training my 20 mile runs were 3:30 for total time.  Today was 18 miles in 2:25 with a 1 mile cooldown at 10 minutes for a total of 19 miles in 2:35.  Felt good afterwards, worked for 4 hours and the went to a Tour de Cure kickoff party for charity bike ride in June.  Did a 3 minute challenge and crushed it on the bike to represent my company and get an extra 25 dollar donation for American Diabetes Association.  Did 1.44 miles in 3 minutes on their Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer with a Giant bike (do not know model but it had the Di2 shifters).

Thursday: Much needed rest day, quads a little sore from bike and running Wednesday, but did absolutely nothing today.

Friday:  Long ride was only 2 hours with 41 miles (80% of FTP for 1:30) logged due to time constraints.  Went for an afternoon run at easy pace for 4 miles at 8:15/mi pace.

Saturday:  Finished the week off with a warmup, then a 10k on the treadmill with hills ranging from 0.0 incline to 6.4 incline and about 1200 feet of total elevation gain.  Did that in 50 minutes flat and ran 7.3 miles altogether today.

Overall for the week I finished with 36 miles running and 84 miles on the bike.  Good week overall with some great runs that will provide some good gains to be seen in a few weeks I believe.  Especially the runs on Wednesday and Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment